TurboTax was the first company to offer the ability to completely prepare and e-file your taxes directly from a mobile device. Their SnapTax app is available for iPhone, Android, and iPad devices and allows users to estimate their tax refund, prepare and electronically file their tax return, and track the status of return after you file. If you have a simple tax return, then TurboTax’s SnapTax can file it for you using your mobile device. Both SnapTax for iPhone and Android and TurboTax for iPad apps include free one-on-one tax advice if you need help while filing.
H&R Block’s Tax Central
H&R Block’s smartphone app, Tax Central, won’t file your taxes for you but it can make tax season much easier. It’s a great tool for people who like to estimate their taxes before filing or bringing their information to a tax preparer to complete.
With this app, you get:
- A tax estimator that approximates how much you will pay or get back from the government
- A help section that answers basic questions about taxes and even includes key terms that will help you understand taxes and related documents
- A checklist that will make sure you have all of the documents that you need to file your taxes
- Ability to schedule an appointment with the local H&R Block if you choose to
- A status checker that will let you know when your refund is ready.
Another option to estimate your taxes is offered through TurboTax’s TaxCaster. It is very similar to H&R Block’s Tax Central app, but seems to use more attractive graphics and easier-to-understand instructions for filers who really don’t know much about the process.
TaxCaster has iPhone and Android versions.
Internal Revenue Service Goes Mobile With IRS2Go
The IRS released IRS2Go for smartphones that allows you to get IRS tax updates, get notified of new videos posted to the IRS YouTube channel, receive daily tax tips, follow the IRS Twitter feed, and check the status of your federal income tax refund. IRS2Go is a free app available for iPhone, iTouch and Android devices.
What apps do you have to help with tax season?
Category: Money Tools